Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Serendipity anyone?

For the lovers, romantics, hopeless romantics, feeling hopeless, people who fall in love easily, people who were hurt, always hurt, and would not dare again take another chance because of being hurt by a magical, powerful word called love...
And for others who just wants to read, this is for you...

"Sana nangyayari yan sa totoong buhay, no?" (I wish that happens in real life, no?)

It was the very statement I heard while watching the movie Serendipity in a little cramped room with 9 people inside (that includes me).

And all I could think of is a statement that was running and racing inside my head.
A truth that could maybe blow-away even myself. A truth so powerful, I could only say, "My gosh, why is it that people don't notice this truth?!!"

So as to understand this whole article, I will give you just a gist of the movie. Don't worry, no spoilers here... or I think...

Anyway, the ultimate gist here is that 2 people just met a few years back and got to know each other a little too well. But for some reason, they relied on "fate" and put their names and telephone numbers on a 5 dollar paper bill and at the first page of a book. Then, they never got to see each other again. Little did they know that after a few years later, the same 5 dollar paper bill and book will land in their hands... I guess this will be the "spoiler" part, they met again because of the 2 "magical" things and have ever-since stayed together... or so I think...

To a once-hopeless-romantic like myself, I would say the same statement my friend blurted out as we watched that movie... "Sana nangyayari yan sa totoong buhay"

It is because if I would just look at those two events where they write their numbers in common things and when they got it back, it really is a gazillion-to-one chance and they will be really really really lucky to experience that. That will be a once-in-a-lifetime "LOVE" affair...

But what makes this movie so magical is not those two events. Nope. Sorry to shatter your magical moment but it's not. These two are just the back-ups for the real magic. "Palamuti" (decoration). Icing in the cake.

The real magic of serendipity is.... guess what? It is so mundane, so normal, so ordinary that many people missed it.
The real magic is the will of the two characters of the story to find each other. The key-decisions they made, the opportunities they took, the risks they took, the will-power they have. That's the real magic.

It is not really destiny leading them. But rather, they chose to cut a path a create their destinies.

We people (yes, I myself included) has a knack of looking and focusing on one part of the whole picture. In this case, we often look at the 5 dollar bill and book in the movie that makes the whole story so "magical". But we often overlook the bigger picture that makes this story really magical. Thus, the effect is we get disillusioned, hopeless, downhearted and worse, devastated when these so-called "signs" don't happen in our lives.

We don't see the whole picture that we ourselves, most of the time, create the signs. We create our destiny. Try to ask this, what if they decided not to look for each other after they got the 5 dollar bill and book? Or worse, what if they decided not to look for the 5 dollar bill and book? Or even worse, what if they decided not to even write their names in a 5 dollar bill and page in a book? You get my drift? They themselves controlled their reactions to these happenings. It's not fate that is controlling them. It is them controlling fate. And they will it. They want it to happen. Thus, Serendipity happened.

Which makes me conclude to one statement that I ever preciously held-back so as not to shatter the magical moment.

That serendipity happens in real life.

It's true! That it may happen to you, to me, and everyone else. Just as long as you see the whole picture of it. Just as long as you will it... it will happen!!

"Come on, it's just a movie... a mushy movie..."

You don't believe me? Then ask my parents how they met and how they get married...
It's a serendipitous affair!! Why?

Here's a backgrounder (Sorry mommy and daddy for not asking permission for this), they met in their highschool years. Had a "serious" highschool-type girlfriend/boyfriend relationship in their last year and got separated in college. My father decided to take Civil Eng somewhere in Manila, and my mother took Ag Eng here in UPLB. They had boyfriend/girlfriend relationships while they were separated. But guess what happened now? They are happily married with four handsome (ahem, ahem), beautiful, intelligent and God-fearing kids (and I'm their firstborn).

What happened? They got separated and now they are together. The secret? Because they willed it. They willed that they be together. Even if they were kilometers apart. And it took many 5 peso (sorry, have to use Philippine setting) bills and many books about Engineering to make them together. Not to mention, the many "divine intervention" that happened which makes the icing for the cake.

Well, as for me, my serendipitous affair will come in His Perfect Time. And as I have said to one of my friends inside that room, "It will happen to me, one day... and if that day happens when we are ready for marriage... Whoever she may be... I will find her. Pursue her. Court her. And I don't care how many 5 dollar bills or books I have to find just to find her. God will make a way... For now, I'll just have to prepare myself for her. For that serendipitous affair."

Hey, maybe Serendipity is just a part of the bigger picture that is yet to unfold...

No comments: